20060516

More Missing MGM Characters...


This is a continuation of my "Variations on a Theme" post where I began comparing the original 1945 version of Preston Blair's "Animation" against my own modern copy of the book.


(Images on the left are from the original, images from the right are from my copy)






Is the running boy in the original from a cartoon? Anyone know?








Whoa!

And don't forget to check out screengrabs from these MGM cartoons that Clarke Snyde has posted at The Inspiration Grab-Bag!

5 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger Animated AF said...

Blimey, I didn't even notice the Red Hot Rding hood difference, I honestly thought that was her Swingshift Cinderella costume, or something.

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Marc Deckter said...

Haha - yeah, he didn't change her as drastically as a lot of the other designs!

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Animated AF said...

Yeah, it's a shame he changed most of them (might of been due to copyright reasons), but at least they still do the same job.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Marc Deckter said...

Hey GagaMan(n) and Josh -

I think that's the interesting thing about these two copies - they both succesfully teach cartoon construction. The earlier version just seems to ALSO teach fun&appealing design!

 
At 5:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm loving Preston Blair even more knowing these fairly major differences exist. Many thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home